Nobody can say it better than students and families who have experienced a Ficino School education. This page explores feedback we have received over the years.
If you have comments you would like to have added on this page, please email us.
- “I really appreciate all the support from everyone at Ficino including the parents. Mia is so proud to be part of this family, so am I. A big thank you to Mrs. Crompton especially, she is always trying her best to support Mia and explain to me how we can work as a team to help Mia to improve and grow.Many parents told me I would see the changes of Mia in only a few weeks’ time and I have. It has been such an amazing experience for us. We are so glad to choose Ficino.” Meng Chen, Parent Yr 1, 2017
- “We felt compelled to write this letter to show our appreciation for the work Mrs Crompton does for the children of Class 1 in particular our daughter Milan Vai.A friend posed a question to Milan at mums 75th birthday celebrations – she was asked about the kind of things she learnt at school, she mentioned poetry and the ‘Life’ poem by Mother Theresa. She was asked if she could recite it and in an instant she was on her feet reciting it in its entirety as learnt in Mrs Crompton’s class. She spoke with such clarity her voice loud and clear and performed with such fluidity and poise. It was a powerful piece fitting for the occasion, it brought a few to tears. Milan displayed such maturity it made us so proud.It truly is amazing that in the short time that Milan has attended Ficino we witness Milan’s character, personality, confidence and intellect develop day by day as she shares with us the new things she has learned in Mrs Crompton’s class. Although we have thanked Mrs Crompton personally it is simply impossible to thank someone that selflessly goes above and beyond her role as a teacher.
We would like to show our gratitude on this truly fine school.” Ruta and Tenari, Parents Yr 1, 2017
- The projects submitted by Ficino students for their Science Fair were all outstanding. The students were wide-eyed with enthusiasm and delight when explaining their projects to me.” Ian Milne, Senior science competition judge, 2017
As hard as it is to believe, we bid farewell to a number of our Year 8 students at the end of 2017. We wish them all the very best going forward. A number of them very kindly shared their experiences with us:
- “There are many things I valued at Ficino School, but 3 of them stand out. We’ve all had close interaction with the teachers and gotten to know them well. We have excelled on the whole. and I don’t just mean in academics. I mean in patience, leadership, being considerate and many more. Finally, Ficino has made us confident young adults and has completed us.” Vishwas, Head Boy, 2017
- “I came to Ficino in Year 6 and I’d like to talk about the individual attention you receive here. You can ask questions and the teacher will answer clearly without trying to rush. The teachers are generous in using their spare time to help you if you need help in improving your marks.” Marta, Yr 8 graduate, 2017
- “What this school has provided us all with is a thing I would like to call ‘aboveness’. Even though this may not be a proper word, I think its a good way to describe the schools attitude. They encourage you to test your limits and go above them. They do this be giving you work that you may think is above your ability.” Dougal, Yr 8 graduate, 2017
What are the best things about a Ficino education? Senior students, 2017
- “A great sense of inclusiveness and friendship.”
- “One of one attention – every student gets so much of this.”
- “They can teach you in a way that you understand, and they encourage you lots.”
- “Each student feels they have the ability and right to ask questions to a teacher or their classmates.”
- “The friendships for life.”
- “The senior syndicate teachers who are amazing and prepare you very well for high school.”
- “The best thing is that students care for each other and we are able to rely on each other in times of need.”
- “The bond between teacher and child.”
- “The food they provided was healthy and delicious.”
- “Ficino has its exceptional character and warm atmosphere – like a family. We didn’t feel it at other schools.”
- “The entire framework of the school is just different and in my opinion truly amazing. I have seen my daughter grow and blossom. She is more confident and happy than she has ever been and is doing so well academically as well.”
- “The children have been able to get the best out of themselves and flourished at Ficino. The standard of teachers is exceptional.”
- “Ficino has a warmth and sincerity. All the benefits of a private education without the focus on wealth and entitlement.”
2015 and earlier parents
“Having been advised that it usually takes most of a child’s first year to adjust and settle into high school, we are delighted to find Tamsin already well settled, enjoying school and new friends in the first term.
We attribute much of this ease of transition to Tamsin’s time at Ficino School. Ficino helped instil an inner self-belief and assurance based on sound values, good philosophy and good teachers.
We appreciate the hard work and love of learning of the teachers, with the best subject examples and experiences given to the children. It has been a pleasure to watch the children’s own excitement in realising the potential within themselves, particularly in the Shakespeare play.
Thank you to all the staff and the leadership at the school, who helped our daughter to flourish in a safe environment.”
K & P Duff, April 2015
“Sending Jonathan and Marcus to Ficino we believe was the best thing we could have done for them. Those first 8 school years are very important and formative. With a good foundation they can gain enormously and get the qualities and self esteem to get the most out of high school and life beyond. For new parents considering Ficino we have no hesitation in recommending that the investment is worth it, the long term benefits are noticeable.
Where it has got them?
4 years on Jonathan has sailed through Mt Albert Grammar School (MAGS) with high marks and has found his passion in the demanding sport of Rowing. Now 17 he’s been selected for his third rowing tour overseas, this year the highest goal and team of his age group, the New Zealand under 19 Junior Four to compete in Rio de Janeiro. He also loves to scuba, freedive and spearfish when not absorbed in rowing.
Marcus has also entered MAGS in the top streams, advanced Maths group and has started Rowing. Was selected to an Auckland level hockey team as goalie 2 years ago and aims to continue with this. Also a keen diver/spearfisherman.
Thanks Ficino for the wonderful difference you have made to our sons lives and encouraging them to realise their potential.”
J & A Winter, April 2015
“In my role as an educational consultant in NZ, US and Asia, I have had the privilege of seeing some outstanding schools. Yours is one of them. All of your teachers were totally engaged with their students. The student response was dynamic. At a time when educational in New Zealand is still trying to meet the needs of such a diversity of students, you are a beacon. Many could learn from you.”
J Winder, June 2016
“Chrissie from Dean’s Swim School has taught swimming for over twenty years to primary school children. She said her experience this afternoon working with Year Four children from Ficino School had been a real reminder of the reason she loves teaching swimming.
Chrissie had combined two swimming groups whose abilities were quite different so she thought she would ask one group to coach the other. She said it was the first time she had seen this work well. Those being instructed were attentive and respectful while those instructing were considerate and observant. There was an obvious rapport and respect within the group and the focus was on improving swimming skills.”
A note from the Swimming Instructor at Dean’s Swim School
“Our son has relished the small school atmosphere of Ficino, and become more confident in all aspects of day to day life.”
“I love working at Ficino School. In my opinion it’s the best primary and intermediate school in Auckland.”
Dr Polly Sussex, Music Teacher
“The school of choice for those who care about education and want development of more than academic outcomes e.g. character, values, worldliness.”
“I was extremely impressed with your learning environment and unique curriculum focus. It was lovely to meet some of your staff and students. My longstanding memory of Ficino will be the amazing self-confidence of the children in speaking individually and presenting to others, and from such a young age. I must congratulate your students on their presence and demeanour within their school environment. Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me and it was a pleasure and a privilege to be a guest at Ficino.”
Deborah James, Executive Director, Independent Schools of New Zealand