Ficino School Letter Week 7, Term 4, 2015

It was our great pleasure to welcome last year’s Head Boy, Tristan Pang, back to school this morning to speak to our Year 4 – 8 students.  Tristan, as many of you will know, is a profoundly gifted student, who went straight from Ficino School to Auckland University where he has just completed a Stage 2 Maths paper, attaining an A+.  Tristan spoke about the importance of gratitude citing his time spent in some low decide schools where students have little support from their parents and often arrive at school unfed.  He also praised the attention given to each child by the teachers at Ficino School.  His other two messages were about the importance of preparation and taking up opportunities whenever they present themselves.  (I am reminded here of the Parable of the ten virgins).  Tristan finished by showing the students a special  animation that he had prepared especially for the talk.  It can be viewed on the following link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fy-eb_0S34

On Wednesday the School joined a number of others around the world to be part of Just This Day. This is an organised day, when participants simply take the time to experience a period of stillness and reflect on the importance of quietude. Our students all went on a five minute sensory walk taking in the smells, tastes, sights and sounds of the world around them, in silence. Our Year 3 students had an opportunity to reflect on their experience. Here is what one of them wrote.

Just This Day
A calm flowing clear lake appears in my heart. It is taste. I can taste sweet and sour. I am full of joy. A ball of warm fire appears in my heart. It is sight. I see animals, plants and man made things. I am truly awake. A grassy meadow appears in my heart. It is smell. I smell plants and dirt. I feel unity. Air rests inside my heart. It is touch and breath. I feel my clothes and I am aware of my breathing. I feel alive. An empty room appears in my heart. It is sound. I hear machines, nature and birds. I am with the self. May all suffering be resolved.
Lucia Norrie – Class 3

Peter Crompton
Principal

Notices

City Mission Foodbank Collection

Thank you very much for your generous donations of food and gifts for the City Mission collection for needy children and families.  If you would still like to contribute, please bring your donations on Monday as the boxes have not been collected yet.

Ficino Preschool – Meeting Wednesday 2nd December, 6 – 7pm

We are pleased to announce that the Ficino Preschool Website is now online (see www.ficino.school.nz). Please inform your friends and family members of this latest development and extend to them an invitation to attend the upcoming Preschool Parent Information Evening. This event will provide an opportunity to learn more about the project and meet the new Head Teacher. The Preschool Development Team looks forward to welcoming all in the Villa, Room B1, on Wednesday the 2nd of December from 6-7 p.m.

Lorna Spicer
Pre-School Development Manager

Garden Club Stall – Monday 30th November – 3pm

On Monday next week at 3pm there will be a Garden Club stall selling homemade lemonade and small cakes.  The Garden Club children are raising funds to buy a garden shed.  Please bring your $1 and $2 coins to support them.  Thank you

Nativity Play & Concert – Friday 4th December

Come along and experience a magical start to the Christmas season.  The afternoon will begin with the Nativity Play performed by Class 2 at 1pm, followed by afternoon tea and the whole school end of year concert.  All parents and those who have helped in the school in so many ways during the year are most welcome.